A team agreement helps to clarify roles and responsibilities amongst team members and to outline preferred communication methods. The following is an example of a team agreement. You may use the example to create your team agreement or create your own based on the needs of your ICH team.
Please note that Sally, Debra and Jack are fictional people. In this example scenario, Debra is the full-time ICH lead (compensated through project funding), Sally is a student volunteer, and Jack has been given permission to devote up to 16 hours a week to ICH work from his regular position as the community’s recreation coordinator.
Indigenous Cultural Heritage Team Agreement [EXAMPLE]
This agreement has been developed to guide Debra, Sally and Jack (the ICH team) as they develop and implement an ICH initiative.
The team agrees to work together with the following values and principles:
Respect, fairness, honesty, culturally based, inclusive, fun
Roles and responsibilities
Team members will be responsible for the following:
Debra (ICH Team Lead)
- Leads the team, keeps the project on track by managing the work plan, manages the budget
- Leads the community engagement process
- Writes the ICH initiative
Sally (Community Engagement Coordinator)
- Develops documents such as posters, templates and other materials
- Plans and coordinates community engagement events
- Will volunteer six to eight hours per week to support ICH communications
Jack (Researcher and Facilitator)
- Facilitates community meetings and designs engagement events (including the coordination of food, drinks and door prizes)
- Gathers and organizes information gathered from community members that will inform the initiative
- Steers the advisory committee
- Will devote 16 hours a week to support ICH initiatives, as needed
The ICH team will use the following communication methods:
- Email: Email is the preferred method of communication. Each member commits to checking their email daily and responding in a timely manner (within 24 hours), unless the team member is off that day.
- Phone/text messages: If an immediate reply is needed, the team will communicate through phone or text message. Team members prefer that calls or texts only be sent/received during regular business hours (9:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.), unless there is a community event outside of those hours that they are preparing for.
- Video call: The members would prefer not to use video calls, as connection is not very stable for some members.
The team agrees to have weekly team meetings by phone or in person (if permitted).
The ICH team will strive for consensus when making decisions. In instances where consensus isn’t achieved, Debra, the Project Manager, will make the final decision.
Should there be a disagreement or conflict between ICH team members, the team agrees to use the following approach:
- Members will refer to cultural protocols and traditional practices, if applicable.
- Members will express concerns in a respectful and kind manner, while offering constructive solutions.
Team contact information
Debra: (123) 456-7890 (cell) email@example.com
Sally: (123) 456-7890 (cell) firstname.lastname@example.org
Jack: (123) 456-7890 (cell) email@example.com
By signing below, we indicate that will honour and uphold the team agreement.
Debra – June 29
Sally – June 29
Jack – June 29